Thursday 16 June 2011

Assignment 2 – Stage 1 Research

For the two topics for my research paper I have chosen Coop Himmelblau’s BMW Welt in Munich as my geometrical research and Fabrication process and planning as my technical focus.


Exterior perspective of BMW Welt by Himmelblau, Munich

In my research of BMW Welt, I was interested in how the complex building, despite having a  strong aesthetic form of the iconic swirling cone, is able to satisfy such complex brief required by the client, and integrate architecturally the formal gesture, spatial requirement structural adequacy and environmental performance through the use of digital tools.  

My second topic is also interesting for me as I am generally interested in how things are “made” and how materiality is articulated through the fabrication process. Liza Iwamoto’s Digital Fabrications: Architectural and Material Techniques is an interesting book regarding to this particular topic, which explores the endless possibilities in the intersection between fabrication process and materiality. It documents various architectural projects in smaller scale done by architects of younger generations. In most of the projects, the idea of fabrication is not merely the end result of their design, but is also an inspiration and driving force of their design process. Therefore, as for stage 1 submission, this book will be my main literal source for my exploration on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment