Sunday 19 June 2011

Assignment 3 – GH Experimentation



The GH script above was my first major attempt (despite experiencing countless failure) of realizing my building façade in GH. First I created a simply model for the apartment in Sketchup and imported the model in rhino. I then recycled the weaving algorithms I explored in assignment 1 (i.e. weaving on surfaces and weaving on objects) and applied it to the loft I created using a few preset curves in rhino.  Weaving stripes were created by offsetting the original line in the UV direction. The result was quite promising, however a few major problem surfaced when viewed in elevation.



As seen in elevation, the weaving lines, while envisioned to be aligning with the existing floor slabs of the apartment core, did not turn out the same as expected. The weaving lines were in fact slightly distorted that jumped up and down from the original line. After spending hours to explore the cause of the mis-alignment, I finally came to the realization that it was caused by the method of division. I used a UV division which divides the loft surface in the UV directions. As the loft I created in rhino was a three dimensional loft. The UV division therefore divided the loft in the direction perpendicular to the loft, irrespective to the location of the floor slab. This became extremely problematic in terms of practicality and structural performance, as I wanted to have circular columns (tubes) going through the slabs in regular interval respective to the 3D loft (this will be explained later when the script is further developed). Therefore, a major makeover of the script had to be done in order to make it workable.

No comments:

Post a Comment